Friday, March 11, 2011

It Never Pays to be a Lemming

Here is me, 5 days ago...



Some of you may be wondering what this thing is....he's almost even kind of adorable. Wrong. Definitely not a good thing to be. Nothing I need to aspire to. But here I was...being a lemming!! Perhaps an explanation is in order. Every time I go to the gym I lift weights (I have my usual routine...arms one day, legs the next, repeat.) and then run a few miles on the treadmill when my knees are putting up a fight. 5 years ago, yes 5, I was in the Golds Gym off 9th in Provo and saw this girl lifting a 10 lb weight doing some ab exercises. You know, the ones where you hold the weight, stand on the little contraption on your side, then hang over the edge with the weight and pull yourself up. (I feel like I'm not making any sense). ANYWAYS, I thought...genius! What a smart and easy way to work on those obliques. I tried it - and I was sore. Which I've always thought is a good thing, meaning you're actually DOING something. So I kept it. Notice I've probably done it everyday minus Sundays for the last 5 years. No joke. And then, I learned what a lemming I was.
5 days ago, after doing my ab/oblique routine I headed over to the treadmills. I'm dripping sweat, running like a madman with my music bursting out of my ear buds, when the trainer comes over and starts to talk to me. "You're making your hips wide.." - Hold on. What? Who is this guy?? (I automatically don't like trainers since I did one of those free first sign-up deals with the trainer and they told me - "you're hot, but your body is FAT. I can make boys want you. I can make you tiny...I think I weighed 115 then? Yeah..wasn't buying it.) So he explained...those ab things with the weights are actually widening your hips. They make your obliques toned but the weights are making everything else bigger. The best thing to do is just use your OWN body weight and do the exercises. Huh. All I can think of is - 5 years. 5 YEARS I've wasted on this. How small are my hips actually supposed to be?
Like I said, it never pays to be a lemming...


No comments:

Post a Comment