Tuesday, October 11, 2011
I am a Mormon and I am a Christian.
Due to recent events (interview of Robert Jeffress, pastor of First Baptist Church of Dallas), religion has weighed heavily on my mind. Perhaps this has particularly bothered me because as someone who lives in the Dallas Metroplex, I have friends who go to his church and listen to his ignorant opinions. First of all, let me clarify by saying that I believe all people are entitled to their own beliefs - that is NOT the issue. Everyone should feel comfortable making and stating their own opinions but they should treat them as that - OPINIONS - not FACT. I don't necessarily believe that what Jeffress said was stated as fact (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt), BUT because of his influence in the religious community, his comments will be taken as such. Which is HIGHLY unfortunate, because it is clear from his words that he is UNINFORMED. It is my belief that when someone is an influential leader, they must make every effort to make INTELLIGENT and INFORMED opinions. This is what we expect of our political leaders. Shouldn't we also expect this from our religious leaders (those set apart to represent CHRIST and His attitudes/actions) as well?
As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon Church), I am deeply offended by his remarks. Sure, this type of thing has happened before. I know I've been told people think we're a cult (for the record, we are NOT), we have more than one wife (we DON'T - pretty sure that would never fly with me and Anson), etc...etc... Most of these people will openly admit they don't know anything about Mormonism. And that's fine - I don't know everything about Catholicism or Protestanism. I don't pretend to. BUT I do appreciate others' questions and that they came straight to the source for answers (which is what I wish Jeffress would have done). Had Jeffress done this he would not have missed the crux of our beliefs - that we BELIEVE IN and KNOW that JESUS CHRIST IS OUR SAVIOR. He said we weren't Christian. I am here to tell you that according to Websters Dictionary which defines Christian as "one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ" I AM A CHRISTIAN. Jesus Christ is in our official church name - The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints - (which by the way, is NOT in Pastor Jeffress' church name...interesting), He is in what we teach every Sunday in all of our services, He is in our homes via pictures, scriptures, etc... and most importantly, He is in our hearts and actions. I BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST. I know He loves each of us deeply. He is the cornerstone of our beliefs. He is my Savior, my brother and my friend. I strive everyday to follow His teachings and His example. I have pictures of Him in every room of my house. I love Him and am forever in debt to Him. I AM A FOLLOWER OF CHRIST.
I am not easily offended but I will not stand for blind intolerance and bigotry. PLEASE learn before you speak. If you would like to learn more about what Mormons really believe please check out www.mormon.org . This site lists all of our beliefs and should answer your questions. If not, ask a Mormon. Ask me. I will be happy to help. Just be informed.
And because I am not quite so eloquent, I've also included the words of one of our leaders - Jeffrey R. Holland via the video above.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that you have an extremely eloquent argument! People, especially influential figures, should not make disparaging comments about other's beliefs without being informed, if at all. I hate it when the tenants by which I live my life are attacked out of ignorance. People should be informed or keep their opinions to themselves.
ReplyDelete